Officially opened Dec. 26, 1941 as the Roxy Theatre, the building was a state of the art movie theatre employing the latest construction techniques, audio equipment and safety features. Safety of patrons was a primary concern reflected in the construction materials of reinforced concrete and structural steel used in the building of fireproof walls, ceilings, floors, balconies and staircases.
Designed by noted Toronto architect, Benjamin Swartz, this Art Deco theatre was part of a chain of movie theatres owned by Samuel Fingold under the name of Roxy Theatres.
The Port Theatre has gone through several renovations in its lifetime both inside and out but the original structure itself remains basically unchanged from the day it opened. The Port is the last existing neighborhood theatre in the city of Cornwall that continues to operate for the showing of movie films. http://theporttheatre.com .