United Counties Courthouse & Jail 7 Water St. West
Cornwall LACAC joined forces with the United Counties and the City of Cornwall to officially designate the SD&G Courthouse and Jail.
Constructed in 1834-35, the building is a fine example of Palladian architecture, style widely used in the 19th century for institutional buildings. Two slightly recessed flanking wings, capped by a hip roof balance the projecting central section, surrounded by a triangular pediment. The exterior finish of hammer-dressed limestone imparts an austere and imposing character to the structure, symbolic of the judicial administrative function.
Meetings of the Courts of Quarter Session and later Counties Council were held there until 1853 when officials purchased the former town hall of Cornwall, located adjacent to the courthouse and converted it to administrative offices back to the courthouse, adding the east façade to house these facilities. Subsequent additions and renovations to the courthouse have modified but not changed the essential character of this historic structure.
The Cornwall Historic Jail is open during summer weekends for tours and visitors.